Saturday, March 30, 2013

I wanna be Jesus

You realize I didn't say "I wanna be like Jesus"

I took Nate home after Christmas break. (And then paid to have his car returned to road trip condition so he can go back and forth on his own).

This was an interesting conversation.

He's a funny guy. Always has been, in kindergarten he said he wanted to be a stand up comedian. Now he's into reading philosophy and sociology and anthropology and other "ologies". He's bright, idealistic, zealous and outspoken. And funny. I know, said that twice, he's really funny.

He starts telling me all the reasons our country is in trouble. And it's a long list and he's right. There are other reasons, mainly SIN and EVIL are in the world, but there are other issues too.

He then tells me that he wants to change the world with his words like Martin Luther King Jr. or John F. Kennedy Jr. I ask him if he realizes they were both killed for their life changing speeches.

He says he's willing to be a martyr if it gets his words out there and he can make a difference.

And then we begin to talk about education and careers. He informs me he needs a "trade" not an education and a career because he intends to use his words and thoughts to change the world. He wants to be Jesus. (No sacrilege intended, just a heart that wants to make a difference). I ask him again if he realizes that Jesus died for his message. He says "I told you, I'm willing to be a martyr".

Obviously, I didn't get anywhere. We discussed that Jesus had a trade, he was not educated and did not have a career. Just something to support himself till he started his real calling.

Nate currently manages at Taco Bell. He intends to move back to Wichita this summer because Whitney needs him close during her senior year to "shape and mold" her.

So be warned people, my 20 and half year old man child is on the loose in America - well for right now Kansas, and plans to take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment