Tuesday, May 21, 2013

are you being watched?

I listened to a friend at work today talk about her husband.  How he belittles her.  Laughs at her.  Takes things that are important to her and makes them small.  Makes her feel small.She told me she wished her marriage was more like mine.  She doesn’t think they’ll last.

I thought, briefly, what do you know about my marriage?  So I asked.  These are the things she told me.

She knows I have pictures of Steve on my desk.  There is a picture of us with our arms around each other and we are smiling.

She knows I am proud of him and his accomplishments. 

She knows that she has never heard me say a bad word about him. 

She knows he treats me good.I asked her how she knows that and she said “because how could you speak so well of him all the time if he didn’t?”

It made me aware that people are watching. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Reminded me of our early years of marriage. We agreed to not belittle each other, ever, in public, after seeing another married couple do that.

    ReplyDelete