Sunday, October 13, 2013

Running, running and running, running!

Steve finished his 5th hundred mile race this morning. Even more impressive than that (to me, anyway) is that in 4 weeks time he finished 3 ultra races.

Hawk 100, then a Saturday off, Flatrock 50K, then a Saturday off, then Heartland 100. Hawk is extremely difficult. Flatrock is technical and difficult, but only 31 miles. But it was 31 miles of rain, so water coming at you, coming out of you, and mud sucking your shoes.

Steve was seriously fatigued early in the race, but there was no complaining or whining - never is. But he also didn't share that he was feeling that way.

Starting line at 6:00 a.m. Early and cool.

Coming into the aid station at mile 25. Certainly explains Kansas reputation as a flat and covered with wheat. Now if I had just got the picture of the cow that was as big as my SUV running down the side of the street, stereotype complete.

The first half of the race was pretty uneventful. Steve ran well, had a few close running friends at about the same speed as him, and he was keeping to his planned pace. Which is great for me. Sophia was there crewing and pacing a girl who was running about the same speed as Steve at that time so I had a friend to hang out with most of the day light hours myself. It was not a large race, but there were enough runners that Steve really was never a lone and that's a good feeling for me.

Marquis texted me early afternoon to ask what time he needed to be there and said he was bringing friends. I will interject here, Marquis has never run further than three miles. And he planned to run 6 miles. He brought his friend (and mine) Harpreet, and Harpreet's girlfriend Christina. An actual runner, marathon finisher herself.

These three were Godsends, especially considering the physical and mental fatigue he was feeling.

A couple of highlights with these guys, the full on chest bump when Marquis finished his 6 mile stretch was wildly popular with the aid station and radio volunteers. It was quite impressive. I can't jump that high on a trampoline.

And Harpreet came back to the car to get Steve's long pants at mile 75 because it was cold. As he sprinted to catch up with Steve another runner said to his pacer "I don't care if he is a pacer, that's just wrong". Easily amused at 3:00 a.m. when I've been up since 4:00 a.m. the previous day living out of my car and eating out of a cooler.

These three were invaluable to Steve, as they got him through 25 rough miles. They all let him set his pace, run according to his body, and because of this he was able to run quite a bit of the last 16 miles as the morning arrived and he didn't think he would be able to. They were also invaluable to me as I knew there were three people on the course dedicated to making sure he got to the next aid station, basically he got to me.

I thought I hired a trainer, but I made a friend.

Off in the to sunset with Marquis at mile 57.5.

And the finish line with the race director. Well earned belt buckle and hoodie.

Steve is taking a break from 100 mile races for an "undetermined" amount of time. He has every intention of running, even running ultra's, but will keep it at the 50K and 50 mile distance for awhile.

And maybe some shorter 10 milers with me while I build my endurance and distance back up.


No comments:

Post a Comment