Friday, July 13, 2018

Free

I got a letter in the mail a couple weeks ago. It filled me with fear. It's not a big deal, either. Just part of life. But there it was, fear, staring me in the face. I can't change the situation. It's not a situation that needs changing. It's (probably) not anything to fear. Yet..FEAR

Then, Steve sent out the list of music for the worship set 7/22/18. No Longer Slaves by Bethel Music.

Slavery. Slaves. Enslaved.

The original Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic that the Bible was written in used the word slaves (and forms of) much more than we see in our current versions. Apparently the word "Slave" had a negative connotation and was replaced by the word "servant" or "serve" as much as possible. American history and all.

See the difference, here though? Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else. he will hold to the one, and despise the other, Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

You can serve two masters. I could conceivably be a servant in a household during the week and another one on the weekend. However, I cannot be a SLAVE to two masters. When you are a slave, the master owns you.

With God as my master, I am owned by him. 1 John 4:8 "there is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love."

God's perfect love casts out my fear.

I'm no longer a slave to fear, I am a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment