Thursday, October 15, 2009

You're listening to...

Whitney and I got in the car this morning and the radio came on to a popular local station’s morning show. They were doing a segment on Halloween costumes. One lady had e-mailed that her 11 year old wanted to be an exotic dancer. This request was met by mixed reviews from the morning show commentators. Some thought it was wrong and some thought there was nothing objectionable about it. I’m not going to voice my opinion till I show you Whitney’s costume last year.
Yep, my 12 year old daughter was Charlie Brown. And she was a hit everywhere we went.

And the year before…
Scarlett O’Hara minus the hat. It was in the car.

Now I’m going to voice my opinion. IT’S NEVER OKAY TO DRESS UP AS AN EXOTIC DANCER.

I was getting ready to turn the radio off when I heard something that made me leave it on. Childbirth Experience Dolls. A woman knits dolls (and will even make them special to resemble you), and they give birth to a baby. The doll comes complete with placenta and umbilical cord. All this stuff is crammed inside the doll and actually mimics the birthing process. Christmas ideas anyone?

4 comments:

  1. First off, what a difference a year makes! She looks so different between the two pictures!

    Secondly, without knowing much about the doll, it sounds like another attempt at glamorizing having a baby. My opinion on this may be a tad over the top, but I think if you have a young girl who is dead set on the idea of having a baby when she's too young 1.) she needs to see what natural and Caeserian births look like (on video and NOT in black & white) 2.) she needs to match a mom step for step for a week - feeding (no matter what time), diaper changing - everything and 3.) be given a list of expenses, from the hospital stay to food, diapers and clothing. I don't think this is a wise approach for girls who don't struggle with wanting children when they are yet children - just those who need a good dose of reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Charlie Brown idea! How about Lucy this year?! :)
    As for the doll, my first thought was, Ew. Ew. Ew. That would not be a part of the experience I would want to replay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Costumes: I totally agree on the exotic dancer thing. What is going on with people? How can they talk about wanting the best for their children out of one side of their mouth, and then say ok to a costume like that out of the other side?

    As for the doll -- well good grief. Refer to the comment above.

    I guess I'm just in a bad mood tonight. But thanks for the post! I LOVED the photos of Whitney! Very cool as Charlie Brown!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When did Halloween become "Get Away with Acting Like a Hoochie" Day? I feel bad for these men in our world who try to do the right thing, honor their wives and then have some "Happy Halloween, I'm a Skank!" in their face. Clean it up, women! Act like your worthy of more and you will be.

    Rant over.

    BTW - love her costumes and the doll is profane... but I'll save you from another rant. ;) I love your blogs, Patsy!

    ReplyDelete