Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's all good...or is it?

This morning I have been bombarded by positive Scriptures via Facebook, Twitter and the blogs I like to read. And I find this great. Encouraging. Uplifiting. One of the reasons I subscribe to Twitter people is that I get to read random positive God things all day long.
I'm doing a Bible Study right now about the life of David. There's a lot to learn studying the life of David. A lot of positive things. There is also a lot of things to learn NOT TO DO from the story of David. Bad behavior. Punishment. Judgment. Consequences. I was struck by the absence of that. I know we all live in negative worlds, harsh worlds. And I know that God is love and the story of Jesus is a positive message and we certainly don't need more "Christians" that are like Fred Phelps. I love Jeremiah 29:11 and of course Phillipians 4:13 as much as anyone else who loves the Bible.
How about these?
Galatians 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
Numbers 32:23 But if you fail to keep your word, then you will have sinned against the Lord, and you may be sure that your sin will find you out. (My mom used the phrase in italics as a parenting method my whole life).
These are just two examples of positive verses that are used a lot, and a couple of "punishment" verses that come from my conservative strict upbringing.
Recently I have been scouring my life for things that I'm doing that would not honor Christ. There are things. I'm confessing and turning, but that is never easy.
I'll give you one example. I joke about this sometimes, but with just Whitney at home now (for all intents and purposes, Nate told me he's moving out in September), parenting is so much easier. But should it be? I think I'm too lax. I know I'm too lax. She's a good kid. She doesn't cause trouble. But she's fourteen. She needs me to be intentional with her as much as I was with the other 4. Last night a parent of one of the girls on her new volleyball team asked about family and when she found out Whitney was the youngest of 5, Nate being closest to her at 4 years older, she said that explained Steve and I being such laid back parents. Not sure about that.
Anyway, no real point to drive home here, except that I'm always as close to "sowing to the flesh reaps corruption" and "be sure your sin will find you out" as I am "plans to prosper you and give you hope and a future" and "I can do all things through Christ because he gives me strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment