Sunday, May 22, 2011

Race Report

The crew view...The Second Annual Steve 50 is completed successfully. I was crew, once again, I'm gettting lots of practice at that, and my first stint as a race director. We raised some money for the Northwest Branch of the YMCA's summer camp, more than we anticipated, had runners register and show up to run, and unless they were lying, they had fun.

Steve wanted to be done in ten hours, but the heat and humidity were tough the second half of the day and he spent a little more time in aid stations than he wanted to hydrating, eating and making sure he had sunscreen, etc. Final time was 10:47:02. Not his fastest fifty, but no where near his slowest. He is feeling well and I expect he'll be running in a couple of days like this was nothing.

We already have some ideas for next year to make it better.

I have a lot of leftover gummi bears, M & M's and hot dogs.

I'm still fighting tendonitis and have vowed (yes, VOWED, because I miss running) not to run until my foot is pain free and has been for a minimum of two weeks. Race director was the perfect role for me anyway. I was able to set up all the aid, check people in, pass out shirts, and visit with the volunteers. Which happened to include Sheila, YAY for time with Sheila, and Robert and Kimberly whom I love also. My in-laws came out and supported Steve and helped me pick up signs and tear everything down which was much appreciated. Way different than the 100K company I had a couple weeks ago.

I got to throw a quilt out on the grass and take an hour nap, and since I was at the aid station I didn't sleep through Steve coming through.

I love the race environment. I know I've said that before, but it's fun. I got to visit with the runners after they finished their 2 - 25 miles. Brand new runners, seasoned ultra runners, it was cool to have them all there together.



No comments:

Post a Comment