Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I'm that mom...

I go to great lengths to not volunteer at my kids schools. Partly because I'm really busy all the time and hate to fill up my free time with volunteer activities around all the mom's that do everything extremely well and look good doing it. I always thought I was an involved mother until my kids got to high school. Holy overachievers! I cannot begin to keep up. When I realized this two weeks into freshman year, I accepted defeat, not gracefully, but giddily, and have used work and kids as an excuse for the last 4 years. Until....Prom was Saturday night. Nate's group he was going with includes several nominees for mother of the year. Booster club president and booster club vice president. All have more than one child that excels at everything they do. They are always extremely well put together and always look appropriate. I won't post the link to my redneck outfit I wore to the high school, but I will remind you of it. I was supposed to help with decorating for after prom, they were starting at 3:00 p.m. I get off work at 4:30 (ish) p.m. so I said I would be there later. I went home and began supper. Little backstory here, a few months ago I bought some new kitchen knives. They will cut through a penny. And I have been very careful. But I was cutting lettuce and took my eyes off what I was doing to look at Whitney and sliced through the meat of my palm. Steve wanted to take me to the ER for stitches, I used a folded up tube sock to staunch the bleeding and sport pre-wrap to hold it on my hand and said I would be fine. Saturday when I took my make shift bandage off and it was still bleeding, I knew I was gonna hear "I told you so" and he would be right. Today, I'm going to the doctor because I believe it's infected. I washed the knife, but not sure what all I used it on cooking dinner. It's a little fuzzy. Needless to say my left hand is throbbing, so this post is a real labor of love. When I got the text asking where I was, they were missing me at the high school, I told them my story. I got a text back, are you being serious? Did that really happen? Like I would make up a story to get out of the one time I volunteered at school. REALLY!!!
Anyway, prom night I sat in the kitchen while the chef that was catering the meal prepared it (it wasn't anymore expensive than Sumo would've been) and waited on the kids. (He made extra tiramisu and it was extraordinary.) I heard one mom say that she was helping with after prom party too, and her son wasn't real happy about it, he asked if she was trying to be "volunteer of the year". I sat with my bandaged hand and felt vindicated. So on this note, I will not be volunteering for the next four years of Whitney's high school career. I also hopefully will not cut my hand to get out of it.

Nate and Hannah

Nate and friends

Jeff, Drew and Nate. Three of the best teenage boys I know.



No comments:

Post a Comment