Sunday, October 24, 2010

And yet again...

Two weekends in a row. Saturday night my son comes in with a story about a classmate that died Friday night. Fresh off the funeral of the 18 year old boy that died in a drunk driving accident last Friday night (early Saturday morning) was a boy that was a senior Nate's freshman year. He was on the baseball team at Heights. And he was one of those seniors that talked to freshman. Nate liked him, looked up to him. And he went to University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri to watch his cousin play today. But unfortunately, last night when he stopped at a convenience store he was robbed at gunpoint and as he tried to run away, they shot him three times in the chest. Nate says Aaron was a good kid. I DON'T CARE if he was a good kid or not. I can't hardly stand the thought of the grieving parents I know right now. I haven't even told you about Max, another of Nate's classmates that died in a car accident driving to college in August. Or Mitch, who died driving back to Wichita State in August. It is heart wrenching. I know accidents happen, and people die. And I know teenagers die. But it is unbearably sad.
I do want to say to Pastor Jason Thornton of True Life Church, WAY TO GO!!! That man stood on stage and gave the good news of the gospel at Austin's funeral service Friday. As I looked around at so many kids that Nate knows, I just bowed my head and prayed that they were listening and that the Holy Spirit would work in their lives. Took a minute to pray very selfishly and thank God that my kids were believers and that they were alive.
Hopefully you won't see any more posts about dead teenagers for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word! What an awful, horrible tragedy! The grief those parents must be feeling - it makes my heart sink to think about it. All the more reason to pray up those we love because you just never know. Only God knows.

    ReplyDelete