Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Not all who wander are lost

ALL that is GOLD does not GLITter,
Not ALL those who WANder are LOST;
The OLD that is STRONG does not WITHer,
Deep ROOTS are not REACHED by the FROST.
From the ASHes a FIRE shall be WOken,
A LIGHT from the SHAdows shall SPRING;
ReNEWED shall be BLADE that was BROken,
The CROWNless aGAIN shall be KING


After my post earlier this week about wandering, I'm going to just stay with the same topic.

I have a necklace with this phrase. I love it. I also love this poem by J.R. Tolkien.

Most of my life I have lived letting life happen to me. I know that. It's part of my make up. I never planned on having kids, I didn't plan on not having kids. I got what I got. And I got really good. I always wanted to be a wife and mother, but never made plans for it. I dated, A LOT, but I couldn't figure out how all my friends had met "the one" and I was dating 4 guys at once and didn't want to be exclusive with any of them.

Until it happened. Until I met the guy that I didn't want to leave in the evening. That I wanted to see every morning. That I looked forward to the phone ringing. Even now I love to see that text from him in my phone, the email at work, and seeing him in the evening after work is the highlight of my day.

Even in my career I have just followed where it led. I have a great job. I have done well, and yet, I didn't set out for it. I do like what I do, and I'm good at it.

I've been up and down health wise the last two years. Not anything serious, but stuff that kept me from a work out plan that I want. H pylori. Twice. Knee surgery. Plantar fasciitis. Vertigo.

I'm done letting life happen and knock me down. There are ways to work around these set backs and I'm going to do it.

This year, I ran several races, and had a great time. But I didn't run any as well as I would have liked. January 1, 2014 I struggled through a 5K at the YMCA. June I struggled through a 10k at El Dorado Lake. October I struggled through a marathon at Niagara Falls. In November I KILLED a ten mile race. That's what I want to do every time.

I have spent some time laying out a workout/running plan in great detail. I have a healthy eating plan lined up.

I have a new Bible and a reading plan.

I continue to wander, I continue to let life happen. But where I need to take control, I will. I will wander with a purpose.

Proverbs 16:3 says "Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

They say that you should share your goals. It will make it easier to stay with.

I don't know if I have any readers left after all the time I've taken off, and I'm okay with that. I will, however, put this out there so it keeps me honest.

3 comments:

  1. Wondering what your new work out plan is. I've been derailed since last August, and only now back to a one-mile run, occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jules, how are ya? I have a half marathon training plan for 8 weeks to get me ready to start my marathon training for Seattle this September, running The Blerch. I also have the Insanity DVD's back out, 40 minutes in the morning to get me going. Will see if I can stay with it. I know for me, it's not as much about what I do as it is just getting back to the routine of doing it. And of course, finding the motivation to do it. And the will to push away from the donuts and cake and....

      Delete
  2. Ah, the key words! "it's not what i do, but the motivation to do it" Yes! That was missing for the longest time. It is starting to come back to me .. slowly. I made a 1.5 mile run today -and felt energized by it, so I know that will help the motivation! As for the ice cream .... :)

    ReplyDelete