Monday, December 20, 2010

Training Update

This marks the end of 6 weeks since I started running after my stress fracture. Fortunately I have not had any setbacks with the stress fracture. Unfortunately, my body is having a hard time getting used to the aches and pains again. My feet and legs have been screaming at me. In some ways it was like I never quit running, I can go out and run 10 miles, sprint 3 at full tilt. In other ways, it’s like starting over again. Getting used to the tight calves, scheduling the running back into my life, sweating, the smell of running clothes, etc.
I am registered to run a 50K (31 miles) in February. I was waffling about signing up, but Steve said he thought I could do it, and knowing he believes in me was all I needed.
Normally I wouldn’t share this information, because I have a peeve about people listing all the stuff they “got” for a birthday or Christmas or Mother’s Day or Valentine’s Day or Anniversary (you get the idea). However, for my birthday this month I was very surprised to receive new trail shoes. I love them. It’s like running on clouds or marshmallows or cotton. Then he surprised me even more with cold weather running tights. They work. Earphones that stay in when I run. Running gloves that are fleece and some other magic fabric that keep my hands nice and warm. Best of all, a light weight warm dry fit running jacket with built in mittens. It’s bright pink, he picked pink so he wouldn’t borrow it. (He has since received one of his own, in a nice manly black with royal blue trim because that was just so sweet.)
I have really enjoyed running in the cold and the dark. I didn’t enjoy the 15 miles on Saturday. By 7 miles I was done. And we hadn’t turned around yet. The trail running nazi (Steve) added the extra mile loop at the front of the run (because he knew I wouldn’t do it at the end) and then proceeded to show me the new trails he found back by the river. It was cool, definitely, but hilly and sandy. And by hilly I mean not flat. Total elevation increase/decrease may have been 45 feet. But at that point in the run just picking my feet up was success. Finished 15.37 miles and actually in an okay time, considering bathroom breaks and countless stops to dump sand out of my shoes. It just seemed rough. So I pulled out last summers training journal and was surprised to find that this distance, this week of training last summer was the worst run I had. In the notes section I actually wrote “WORST RUN EVER!” So maybe it’s going to get better from here. Gonna think that way, because there is no way I can stop running. I have all this cool running gear now.
Another side note to my training, core strength is good for runners. I don’t have a weak core, pretty strong abs and back, but decided I wasn’t working them enough and told Steve I was going to start taking core express classes at the Y. These are 30 minute classes strictly working the abs and back. He said he would come with me. He is every instructor’s favorite student. (We take classes from 3 different instructors). He does get a good work out, because like me, he tends to slack on ab work and would never do 30 minutes 3 times a week on his own. But every time the instructor gives options with 1 being easiest and 3 being superman he can do the superman. They really are called superman, because typically you do this option with your arms straight out over your head like superman does when he flies. I struggle to complete some of the sets we do, and struggle to do some of the exercises. I’m getting better. In one of last week’s classes the instructor told us the exercise we were going to do and I heard Steve beside me start laughing. I knew then I was in trouble. If “superman” laughs, it’s beyond me. And it was. So my new goal is to be able to do these. I’m going to see try and describe them.
1. Put gliders under your feet – gliders are round cardboard covered cloth pieces that make your hands and feet slide on the polished wood floor.
2. Get in plank/push up position
3. Walk forward four steps with your hands, pulling your feet behind you
4. Pull knees up to chest, still only touching the floor with your hands and feet
5. Push knees back to plank position
6. Walk backward four steps, pushing your feet backwards
7. Do 4 push ups
8. Repeat 7 more times, never lowering your body to the floor.
INSTRUCTOR IS A SADIST!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment