Sunday, January 13, 2013

measure me

Yep, beating this dog again. Pinterest.

Holy cow do people really have this perfect of lives? Do their desserts always turn out perfect? All their projects works of art?

I wanted a pattern and the link took me to pinterest and then to the blog. I spent an hour trying to make an "easy 30 minute" project and I haven't given up completely, but I did put it away until my sister could explain it, which she did and also offered to just make it for me.

I understand how helpful it is and how much people love it. But dang, the pressure to dress your child like a mini-Audrey Hepburn has to be intense for mothers of toddlers. Whitney wore leggings and tee shirts. We had some pretty awesome pictures made, or 12 years ago they were pretty awesome.

Then I was overwhelmed by the number of grown women that took pictures of their Christmas presents from their husband to share on facebook with the "I'm so spoiled" or "I'm so lucky", or "I'm so loved".

Social media is great. Wonderful way to keep in touch. Why does it bother me so much? I don't have a pinterest account for the reason of it makes me want stuff. It points out where my desserts aren't picture perfect. And I was always happy with my sugar cookies and cake balls before, so I'm going to stay that way. I don't need to see that other people turn their deviled eggs into chickees for Easter. Making deviled eggs is enough work for me without adding eyes and beaks to them.

In our world of competition and keeping up with or being better than everyone else, it's hard not to get swept up into the need to convince everyone how great your life, kids, spouse, marriage, job, world is.

For those of you that can use pinterest without it mocking you, making you materialistic and feeling like your cookies are ugly, good for you. I mean that. Is there anyone else like me that can't take the pressure?

I've had a good holiday season. I've had wonderful relaxing holiday break. I got presents and I loved them all. I'm not spoiled, I'm not lucky, but I am loved. With my attitude, mouth, laugh lines, diet coke habit (seriously, two large ones during The Hobbit), and serving my family leftovers for dinner often, I'm still loved. I'm not treated like a princess, I can't say I've never been hurt by those who love me. That's just life. It's beautifully painfully imperfect.

So if you are feeling the pinterest/facebook/twitter pressure of keeping up with the other moms of kids your age, STOP IT! Don't worry about the artfully arranged perfectly matched awesomely accessorized outfits on pinterest, wear what you like that looks good on you and own it. If you look weird, just tell them you are "eclectic". Works for me. But I'm betting you are beautiful when you are most you.

And God has given you the right kids for you. Store bought cupcakes for school birthday parties won't leave a scar. Recycle last year's halloween costumes. And please know that pizza rolls can be dinner.

If you need to hear that you are okay and normal and doing just fine, let me know. I'll tell you.

Or we can be weird together.


Bonus...blurry picture from Friday's workout.



1 comment:

  1. Your melting snowmen cookies are beautiful culinary masterpieces. I haven't had one in like 2 years.

    ReplyDelete