Friday, April 18, 2014

Are we really blessed?

How often I see someone post on facebook and say "feeling blessed". Most recently, it was over a woman who was ill and her family took care of her, and a young woman who got to spend a couple hours with her children that she gave up.

Bless·ed adjective \ˈble-səd\
having a sacred nature : connected with God:
very welcome, pleasant, or appreciated
from Meriam Webster

Both of these situations gave me pause. They do fit the definition. But I feel the word blessed is over used, much like amazing, epic, officially, and many others.

Today I can say I'm blessed. It's Good Friday. The day Jesus died for my sins. The day he suffered and paid the penalty for me, I don't have to pay for my own. The day my eternity was settled, as long as I accept it. Because of this, I am connected with God. His Holy Spirit lives in me, and because of that, and only because of that, I have a sacred nature.

Jesus only crime, loving people? His guilt, none! But he carried mine. His pain? IMMENSE, INTENSE and it was for me.

Do I deserve this love? Absolutely not. But it's mine, and I'm so grateful and yes, today, I am blessed.

Isaiah 53:5 "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed."

I hope this season of holy days that you know him That this peace is yours. That this healing is yours.

I have both, peace and healing. Not easy to come by. Not easy to live in and hold on to in this crazy life we have. All it's ups and downs. All the sin, mine and others around me that has an impact. But this Jesus? He paid for your sins and "their" sins as well, so forgiveness this time of year is easy to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment