Thursday, February 19, 2009

Change...


Change…your goals

Mark’s last sermon in the series “Change” was on goals. I am going to share a goal I had. Last July, I decided I wanted to run a half marathon by the end of the year (I didn’t, but more about that later). I told people my goal. I got derision, sarcasm, and indifference. I also got support. One friend of mine said to send her my training plan and she would run with me. This is the kind of friend everyone needs. (I am fortunate to have more than one of this kind of friend).
We started training, and we still talk about our training runs and our strength training and cross training now. We run together. She has encouraged me and kept me going when I would have given up. Due to illness and work schedule changes, I did not run a half marathon by the end of 2008. I did run the 10 mile Turkey Trot in November, and in January of 2009 scheduled what I want to run this year. I have a half marathon planned in March, with races in April and May also. Then I have races I plan to run in September, October and November. The half marathon is no longer a goal. It is a milestone.
The half marathon is a trail run, so over the last month or so, I have changed my running path. I no longer run the same 3 or 4 routes I had run for the last 6 months. I decided that I could run in the 40 degree temperatures, just dress warmer. Then I decided that I could run off road. I read an article in a magazine that talks about trail running and it’s harder, because you have to be more aware of the terrain you are running on. It’s harder because you don’t really ever get into your natural rhythm. There are some pretty steep hills, rocks, and some uneven ground. I tried it, and you can see in the picture the trail I run. I love it. I run out my front door, past one house, down the ditch, and I have this beautiful trail to run. It is harder, no doubt. I discovered many things about it that are better though. The air is clear. There are no cars going by letting off exhaust when I’m trying to breathe. I also don’t have to use ear phones. I turn the volume up on my phone / mp3 (this is a safety thing for me, I always run with my phone) and I can listen to the music without shutting out everything else. There is a feeling of solitude, which I love when I’m running. Yesterday, that 3 mile run was the happiest I was all day long.
How many times in my life have I done this to God? Wanted to stay on the tried and true path that I’ve always been on? Wanted to continue to do the same things the same way because I was comfortable with them? Wanted to avoid the rocks and hills and uneven terrain? How much have I missed out on by doing this? Have I missed times of peace and solitude? Have I missed hearing God because to hear what I want I have to shut out everything else? Have I allowed the pollutants and exhaust from everything around me to take away some of the joy of what I should be doing because I love it? I will still run on the pavement. I will run my old paths again. But I don’t ever want to be afraid to try something new and different, because what if I love it that much more?

This has always been one of my favorite hymns, and today, I can’t stop thinking about the words. Written by Joseph H. Gilmore in 1862. I have a recording of Steve singing this with an acapella group, but I don’t want to violate any laws. So if you would like to hear it, let me know.
He Leadeth Me
He leadeth me, O blessèd thought!O words with heav’nly comfort fraught!Whate’er I do, where’er I beStill ’tis God’s hand that leadeth me.
He leadeth me, He leadeth me,By His own hand He leadeth me;His faithful follower I would be,For by His hand He leadeth me.
Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom,Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,By waters still, over troubled sea,Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.
Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,Nor ever murmur nor repine;Content, whatever lot I see,Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.
And when my task on earth is done,When by Thy grace the vict’ry’s won,E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,Since God through Jordan leadeth me.

No comments:

Post a Comment