Sunday, January 16, 2011

Training Update or I'm a runner in Kansas

I ran 10 miles in this today.
33 degrees felt like 16. Ankle deep snow. I was curious, so I looked back six months. To the day. To the worst run I had all summer. 100 degrees, heat index of 116 degrees. Almost passed out, threw up and walked the last 2.5 miles wringing sweat out of the bottom of my running skirt and tank top.
Kansas throws everything at you, ice, snow, sub-zero temps, triple digit plus temps, electric storms, rain, and 40-50 mph wind. If I didn't hate the dreadmill so much, I could avoid these conditions, but I would rather run ten miles in today (or last July 16) conditions than run on a treadmill. A treadmill run for me consists of getting on and running as hard and fast as I possibly can and then staggering to an exercise bike for an hour to recover enough to walk to my car.
And I really enjoyed my cold, wet, snowy, solitary run today.

1 comment:

  1. Aside from the fact that you ran through this, it's very beautiful! I can't wait to take you on a run around Fresh Pond!

    ReplyDelete