Thursday, September 12, 2013

My Goat Knows

There is this song that goes through my head on occasion. Weird occasions.

Sung to the tune of "Michael Row Your Boat Ashore".

"My goat knows the bowling score hallelujah"

If I sing this around my brothers we all laugh. Just like saying "two penguins are sitting in a hot tub". Family jokes.

"I don't have your stupid donkey" favorite text I ever got from Nate

And those inside jokes with friends. Sheila and I can start many conversations with "you remember that one time you almost died". Our workout group went out to eat before the college kids left and Sheila and I sat together (of course) and laughed till we cried. Whitney and Emily kept looking at us, thinking we were talking about them, but what they don't know is, WE HAVE OTHER STUFF TO TALK ABOUT!

Steve and I have code words for things. We can talk about stuff and no one else knows what we are talking about. Some of our codes are things that are so mainstream that we can talk about them in public and no one would be aware it was code.

Shared memories. Inside jokes. Secrets.

It's so good to belong. To be part of the crowd, to know the stories and the jokes.

It's good to be part of community.

It's also good to meet new friends and make your community bigger.

It's also good to be alone.

But mostly, it's just good to laugh.

You know, remember that one time I almost died????

No comments:

Post a Comment