Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Know your numbers (or have some cheesecake)

Yesterday I particpated in an activity that my employer, Spirit Aerosystems provides its employees.  It’s a great free benefit.  They have a “Know Your Numbers” campaign and bring health care professionals to the facility to check blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, weight, etc.  They actually take blood, blood pressure and weigh you.  Last year my numbers were all in the safe range, but right at the edge. She said it was because I hadn’t been fasting.  This year, my numbers were all great, and I had eaten a bagel with cream cheese and a diet coke for breakfast.  The health care professional told me I was one of the healthiest people she had seen during her month doing these checks on-site, (and then she asked me for exercise advice).  I have to say here, I am not an expert.  I know what works for me.  I have learned by trial and error what I have to do to lose weight and be healthy.My fitness plan consists of counting calories.  This means calories in as well as calories out.  Try me, I know how many calories are in 3 Oreos and how long I have to do just about any exercise to burn them off.  (I have to admit, while I’m writing this, I am eating an 800 calorie piece of cheesecake, which will require a 10 mile bike ride or 6 mile run tonight to work off. I will also have salad for every meal today. OR I JUST GO OVER MY CALORIES TODAY!  That’s right, sometimes I cheat).  I don’t get real crazy about fat, protein and carbs (as you can see by the Oreos and cheesecake).  I also don’t count vegetable calories.  I do count cheese, salad dressing, butter, etc. that might be put on the vegetables.  When I started my fitness plan (diet) 3 years ago, I was unhealthy.  But I have never been so big or so unhealthy to qualify for any surgery or medical treatments for obesity. This is a good thing, and I know that, but sometimes I think it might have been easier.  I know it would have been quicker.  I’m not against gastric bypass or the lap band.  I’m also not against diet pills or diet plans.  I’m not against having prepackaged meals delivered to your door.  Whatever works, as long as it helps your health and doesn’t hurt it.  I know for me, the only thing that works is exercise and moderation in eating.  I haven’t given up anything permanently.  I limit.  I limit sweets.  I limit pizza.  I limit eating out.  But I have all these things.  I occasionally will take pills for different ailments, but other than ibuprofen, allergy medicine and vitamins I don’t take pills.  I’ve tried everything.  EVERYTHING.  Including fad diets and unhealthy practices, and all that has worked for me is counting calories.When I began exercising I remember running to the corner (3 houses away) and then walking.  I remember 5 pound dumb bells killing me.  I remember 4 minutes on the stair climber and then taking the elevator to the first floor at the Y because I couldn’t go down the stairs.  I remember being on the elliptical machine and felt like I was working my tail off and having the digital display tell me to pedal faster, because my speed wasn’t registering as movement.  I remember trying a push up and not being able to get myself up off the ground.  After three years of working out, I have seen amazing results.  Well, I am amazed, but then just as I’m easily amused, easily entertained, I am also easily amazed. I CAN DO so much more than I ever thought possible. Today I heard of this great medical plan that has allowed two ladies at work to lose 17 and 21 pounds in 5 weeks.  Another lady had gastric bypass, went from a size 22 to 2 in a year.  Sometimes these stories make me feel like I have spent a lot of time and effort when there was an easier way, but I don’t do easy. I have not allowed myself to forget how hard it was starting out.  I don’t want to forget, because I don’t want to go back there.  I don’t want to start over.  This could be a metaphor for my spiritual life as well.  I have been terribly out of shape spiritually.  My spiritual fitness was not a priority, and I wasn’t good at it, and I wasn’t very strong.  And my spiritual nutrition was lacking as well.  I think about the Children of Israel remembering Egypt and wanting to go back.  I remember my Egypt as a place I don’t want to see again.  This requires true remembrance, and a plan for moving ahead and staying my course.Ephesians chapter 4 talks about us growing up, not being infants any longer.  I want to continue to grow and mature.  I don’t want to get stuck at a certain spot in my life and not see progress.  I don’t want to plateau. 

No comments:

Post a Comment