Monday, April 13, 2009

Range Fire

I went to Kansas City on Saturday. This takes me through the Flint Hills. Cattle Pens, range burning, etc. It was range burning time. The fire on the way to Kansas City was really cool to look at, and it stayed on my mind all day. On the way home, there were still areas that were burning. I am a city girl, born and bred, but my dad’s family farms most of Reno County. I have been on the farm. I have been on the combine, the tractors, the horses, been in cattle stalls, and ran from chickens (I have bird issues).
On the way home, everyone was asleep, so I had the radio off and was keeping it quiet so they would all stay asleep, and I was chewing on what I had explained to Whitney as the reasons for range burning. One of the reasons for range burning is it to bring nutrients to the soil. The added nutrients make whatever grows in that soil more nutritious for whatever might then feed on the range. The burning is necessary for the next crop, the next generation’s health. I also explained to Whitney that it is a controlled burn. The rancher knows what he’s doing. (Did explain that sometimes range fires do get out of control, but usually, they are controlled).
So what’s on fire in your life right now? Struggling marriage? Problems with your children or teenagers? Sick family members? Is there someone that it just seems wants to make your life harder than it needs to be? Money trouble? There is a purpose. It’s not fun to think about, and it’s not something we ever ask for. But these internal fires are making us more “nutritious” to those around us. If we are willing to let our troubles be used to help others, than maybe, JUST MAYBE, we can feel like they were worth it. When I think about being able to “feed” someone, not with any wisdom I’ve gained from my personal range fires, but just the ability to say, “You are not alone. You are not the first to suffer this, and because I feel your pain, I know to pray for you”. And God does have it under control. He knows where the burn line is. He knows how deep and how much needs to be burned off. And he knows who you will be able to feed.

I prayed for each of you reading this when I posted it. If I know you and know that you read this, I prayed specifically for you! Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. "The burning is neccessary for the next crop, the next generation's health..." Patsy, this is an awesome thought on all the generational stuff that has been passed on to us that we in turn pass on to our kin.

    It is absolutely essential to the next generation that we allow the Lord to deal with our 'stuff.' Everything we don't allow the Lord to sanctify results in a lie we will then pass on to the next generation.

    Have you ever read about Gilda Radner's flopping Dachshund story in any of Beth Moore's books? It's about a momma dog who lost her two hind legs in a tragic lawn mower accident. The dog's life was saved, but the legs could not be.

    The only way she knew how to walk from that day on was to essentially 'flop' along, hind legs missing. Her babies, not knowing what their hind legs were for, learned how to flop just like her. If we don't allow the Lord to deal with our 'stuff' we're just teaching our children to flop like us.

    I believe Jesus for more, don't you?

    ReplyDelete