Monday, July 27, 2009

Sponge Bob vs Sports Center

I sit here on my couch with the laptop while my 17 year old son has the remote. We are surfing back and forth between cartoon network and ESPN. This is a lifelong affliction. This is the boy that became a Longhorns fan because he watched the college baseball world series when he was 6 and liked the logo and the burnt orange color. I like these two channels for him. They may have some objectionable material on them, but mostly they are suitable for his age.
On the other hand, last week I read one of the blogs I frequent and the writer was talking about letting bad stuff into your heart and mind through the television shows you watched. This kind of pricked a little, because while I'm careful, I CAN always do better. But then later that afternoon I plugged into my IPOD and tuned in one of my IPOD preachers. Guess what his sermon was on? Movies, TV, etc. that is not good to watch. He used a specific example of running into two ladies from his church that were going to see a movie that was hilarious, for the second time. He said maybe he would take his wife to see it, and their response was that he shouldn't see that movie. Of course if he shouldn't see it, neither should they. I have seen that particular movie, and in all fairness to the pastor, he shouldn't see it, and neither should I.
This sermon was from February. I download a lot of sermons, and I can't keep up with all of them. God thought I needed that reminder to be careful what I let in to my heart and mind.
So Nate has gone to bed, I have the remote, and I'm watching I Dream of Jeannie followed by the original Mission Impossible. I'm really hoping for sleep soon, but after Mission Impossible, I get the Honeymooners. If that don't work, I'm trying Whitney's method of QVC. That's what she watches when she suffers from insomnia. So my prayer for all of you this week is a great week of sleep. Because I would love that myself.

1 comment:

  1. If by chance that writer was me, then oh my, and I convicted. I watched "The Bachelorette" tonight. It's like knowing that two trains are about to collide; you know it's not gonna be a good thing; but you stand there and watch it anyway because curiosity gets the best of you.

    I'm trying to wean myself off of raunchy TV but not hard enough. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete