Sunday, October 4, 2009

Week 18

For all of you have stuck with me reading about my 20 weeks of marathon training, I am almost there. I finally stopped itching and needing Benadryl early Tuesday morning. This week I started out Monday at the gym lifting with Steve. So naturally, Tuesday my biceps, shoulders and abs were sore. Ran 4 miles with Steve Tuesday night, (speed training because I was running with Steve). Wednesday I took off, Thursday went out to run and ran a mile into 32 mph winds. Not gusts, straight line wind. I couldn't take it any longer after a mile and turned around. I am not lyng when I say I struggled to maintain a 13 minute mile going out and flew home with a 9 minute mile barely trying. Love Kansas wind - when it's at my back. Friday I rested up for Saturday's long run. We waited later to run because it was still 44 degrees at 10:00 a.m., and while I will run when it's cold, it's the same as moving to hot weather. I have to acclimate myself. I can't go from mild temps to cold temps overnight without feeling the affects.

Let me just say Saturday's run was brutal. Steve ran with me, and I think it's the first long run we have done together in 3 months. I started out feeling great. We ran the first 11 and I felt good. We got to 11.10 and I died. I didn't want to take another step. Happened that fast. Made it to Taco Bell for water and energy gel, that helped, and ran another mile, but still felt like I could barely put one foot in front of the other. 12.5 miles we came to Kwik Shop and got drinks, fruit and cheese and took a second energy gel, and felt pretty rejuvenated. Ran another 4 miles pretty well, or so I thought. We were coming up on a hill and Steve was in front of me and he said when we got to the twig in the road we walk up the rest of the hill. I got to the twig in the road and could barely lift my feet over it. I caught it with my foot and stabbed myself in the back of the ankle and ran the last 3.5 miles dripping blood into my sock. When we finally got home, I asked Steve if we were really insane and he said yes. But this was the fastest I have ever traversed 20 miles. Including 4 drink stops where we had to go inside and buy water (and I used the facilities once) and walking through some pretty rough terrain to get to our running path (and climbing a fence). This is encouraging, as the marathon has a 6 hour time limit. The website that predicts times based on previous races seems to think based on my two half marathons this summer I can run the marathon in 5:35 to 5:47. We will see. I do know I won't run the first 10 miles at Steve's pace. I run much better if I start slow and allow myself to finish strong than if I burn it all on the front half.
When I got home yesterday afternoon, I was seriously questioning my own sanity and whether I could run 6 more miles on top of yesterdays run. But after a shower, a chicken and black bean corn salsa quesadilla (all homemade, yummm) and a diet coke, I was a whole new woman. I have followed the training and I believe I am mentally and physically ready. I will point out that this is not the culmination of 20 weeks of training for me. I started last July training for a half marathon, so I'm not a natural runner, and a 20 week training program has taken me 15 months to actually get to the point I'm ready. I may not be fast, I may not be talented, but by golly, I'm determined.

The next two weeks are fall back weeks in the area of mileage, so I will spend some extra time on weights and elliptical machines. Hard to believe I am calling a 12 mile run a short run, but it's all in perspective.

Everyone have a great week, enjoy this beautiful fall weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment