Monday, November 9, 2009

If wishes were horses...

My mom always said this. If wishes were horses beggars would ride. My family had quite a few odd ball sayings, most morphed from misunderstandings. My dad always said something was “as useless as faucets on a sow pig”. My sister thought he said fosters on a sow pig. What that even means is anyone’s guess. Another family gem, you’d complain if someone gave you a million dollars cause you had to take it to the bank. There were also the jokes that at one time probably were real jokes, but through miss-telling became funnier to us, and then funnier when we told them because no one else understood, which was the whole point of the joke.
What sits on a wall and laughs? Lemon meringue pie.
What’s the difference between an orange?
Two penguins were sitting in a hot tub. One says to the other, pass me a bar of soap. The other one replies, what do you think I am? A typewriter?
How many ADD kids does it take to change a light bulb? Hey, wanna go ride our bikes?
And family sayings…
Grandma’s funny!
Can’t we all just get along?
Ann Margaret! (Always used in trivial pursuit when we don’t know the answer.)
What prompted this trip down memory lane? Listening to my kids talk to each other and not understanding what they were saying. Sometimes they use lines from movies or TV shows that I haven’t seen, which leaves me in the dark, like “Anarchy, Anarchy!” But they have their jokes that I don’t get and their conversations I’m not a part of, and I like that. I remember how close I was to my brothers and sister growing up, and even now my brothers can make me laugh harder than anyone else I know. Except my son and my nephews. Chips off the old block, I tell you.
A life without laughter is just not as much fun. The people I enjoy most are the ones that make me laugh and laugh with me. (I can be serious, and know when I should be, although that doesn’t always work out). Life is hard, I feel like I have had more than my share of hard knocks (if I had my way I wouldn’t have any) but laughing sure helps. So this week, I’m “putting on a happy face” and I’m going to enjoy life.**

**this is directed at me, as I had discouraging news twice today already and once over the weekend and I’m choosing to be happy!

1 comment:

  1. I had a high school history teacher that had the best sayings ever. I made a list of them that was several pages long in my notebook. One of the few sadnesses in my life is that I don't have that notebook any longer. If I did, you and I could laugh and laugh!

    ReplyDelete