Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bonus Post

Normally I don't post on Satudays. No reason, I just don't. But I want to tell someone about my day. So you are the lucky ones. Got up at 4:30 to run 13 miles with Sheila. Halfway to her house my left eye was killing me. Went home changed contacts, text Sheila tell her I'm on my way. We run at 5:30. It's windy and drizzling. At 9 miles we are both soggy from the inside out and we call it a day. I go home, shower, and head to Topeka. I'm going to double it up today and see my stepdaughter in the women's prison there and watch a baseball game Nate's in. I get to the prison and the guard looks at me and says, do you have a jacket? I say, no, it's July. She says you can't come in in a sun dress. I say, this isn't a sun dress. She says it doesn't have sleeves (the horror!!!) and it's too low cut. Incredulously, I gesture at my neckline and say, "THIS?" She says yes. Anyone who knows me and my brazen hussy ways...I wear this dress to church where my husband sings every week with the worship team and to work in a professional office. Where I meet with clients. This dress would have passed dress code at my ACE Christian High School. NO LIE!! So I stop at Casey's General Store (Quik Trip) and I ask the guy if he has an extra smock I can borrow. No luck. I don't know where a store is and I really don't want to turn an already expensive day trip even more expensive by buying a jacket. So I go to the ball field. I think (briefly) about asking Nate for his red jersey, since they are in blue, but I'm pretty sure if I walked up to him in the middle of his team and said "can I borrow your jersey? I want to visit your sister in prison and my dress doesn't meet dress code to go in the WOMEN's prison" he might disown me. So I stay for the game. He plays on a highly competitive team. He plays a little more than half the time. Hoping this coach can line up a baseball scholarship. (High school coach hooked him up, $15,000 a year baseball and academics. Sound good? $27,000 a year. A YEAR! Diploma must be made out of solid gold). Anyway, this game? He didn't play. Which means he'll play the 8:00 game tonight I couldn't stay for. I drove to Topeka to visit a daughter I couldn't get in the prison and to watch a son play baseball who didn't get in the game. Well, he pinch ran. Here are my action shots from today.

Number 44

Running to third...he's fast

Pinch runner on first. He's not that little, first baseman was about 6'5"

Then I went home (it rained the last 75 miles, I hate driving in the rain, contacts blur my visibility. But I'm much safer than my mom or dad who rode with me) and ran the other 4 miles of my 13 mile run today. At 5:30, exactly 12 hours later. In the rain. Now I'm going to a cookout (yay!!!) and to watch UFC (Yay??? Not so much). Anyway, happy 4th!!! All in all, it wasn't a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment