Friday, February 18, 2011

Accentuate the positive

Normally I'm not all about "positive thoughts" and such. I much prefer prayer, thank you very much.
I had a rough week. Started with being tired (exhausted?) Self inflicted, I went to KC Friday night, ran that trail in tough conditions Saturday, and then drove home, only to get up and drive to Salina at 5:30 a.m. for an all day volleyball tournament. Add to the week a stepdaughter out of prison for less than two weeks that by all appearances has gone right back to her "before" life, taking her little sister with her. (And I know the little sister at 19 has to stand on her own two feet, but she was doing so good and appears to be sliding). A totaled car in fog that in some places was okay but in others zero visibility. Nate was one of 24 cars involved in accidents in about a 3 mile stretch. It wasn't that bad the highway I took to work, but the one he took to school was a whole different story. He's okay. Stiff, sore, banged up a bit. Knees hit the dashboard, chin took the air bag. But could've been so much worse. God's hand of protection was there for him. Not going to ask why Nate, just going to thank God he's okay. A "job interview" Tuesday night, which these meetings are always mentally tough.
Back to my positivity. In the midst of these kind of weeks, I find myself getting down. Discouraged. Disheartened. And I have learned to pray my way out of it. Typically I find praying for someone else helps. When I only pray for me, I focus on my trials. So I pray, and move on.
And then...Yesterday I heard two encouraging things. From unexpected encouragers. First I was called a "studess". I had to ask. Stud goddess. Whatever, I'll take it. Second, my trainer Freddrick talked to me after my session about my run, my plans, etc. And told me he was excited to see what I was going to do." Not what I "could" do, no "if you do this". What I was GOING TO DO. Amazing when someone believes in you.

Leaving with this verse Jeremiah 31:3 I have loved you with an unfailing love..." I know it was written to the Israelites. But I love this verse, and I know it pertains to me as one of God's children adopted by Jesus blood. What could be more positive and encouraging than this? Unfailing, everlasting, unending, depends on what version you read, but all so permanent. And POSITIVE!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had a bad week. Good news, they tend to become markers to the rest of the weeks to show just how "good life is". I can't wait for you guys to come visit, we will have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete