Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I'm nervous

Steve changed my registration for the February 12 Run Toto Run trail run to the 20 mile instead of the 50K. And it's a good thing, because once the 20 mile thought entered my mind, I mentally checked out of the 50K and was all about the 20. (Now I'm wondering if I should just do 10). But I looked back at my training log and in the last 6 weeks I've done several ten milers, four 14-15 mile runs, and two that were 17 or more. I'm gonna go out and run 20. Steve is doing the 50K, so my real challenge is to run 20 in the time he runs 31. It's a loop course, so if he catches me, he can just slow down and finish with me. Kansas City is getting pounded with snow, so the trail might be difficult.
I got a lecture from Coach K not too long ago about leaving my pride in the parking lot and being the athlete that I am. There is no shame in running 20 miles, and aiming to finish before Steve runs his 31 miles. I'm not in his shadow, I'm not competing with him or anyone else. I keep reminding myself of this, don't know why I want to think I'm not good enough because I'm not as fast or strong or thin or young.
So I'm revisiting my ONEWORD, ME, what is in my power. And 20 miles is mine. I've worked for it, I've prepared for it, I want to do it, I'm excited about it. I don't have a goal time, other than for Steve to not have to wait for me.

I'm not "racing" I'm "running".

1 comment: