Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It's my Anniversary

My wedding anniversary. Instead of telling you how wonderful Steve is (he is) how wonderful my marriage is (it is, praise God) and how blessed I am (I really am) I decided to share a few things I admire from marriages of some of my friends. These are marriages that are solid in all aspects, it's just some of the things that stick out to me that make them special.

Marriage #1 She knows how to do family time and she knows how to do date night and she knows how to do girls night. She makes sure that they have family time and mom and kid time and dad and kid time and that dad has time with his friends and that she spends time with her friends. And they spend time together. We all know that relationships are work. And she does this so well. Steve and I love to spend time with her and her husband, we double date quite regularly. As much as I love her, I think our husband have as close a bond as we do, and that makes for a lot of fun. I admire the intentional way she is raising her family and the way she puts her marriage first. I also know that their time with their individual friends allows them to be refreshed and better for their family.

Marriage #2 I have known both of these individuals before they got married. They are 20 years together and stronger now than ever. They make each other better. I have watched over the years how they support each other. They have some of the same interests, things they love to do together. But they each have their unique interests and these have never caused a wedge between them. I have seen him spend hours researching her interests to get just the right birthday present. They encourage each other and support each other. Totally understand that your individuality and uniqueness should not be lost when you get married. Yes, two become one, but neither loses themself.

Marriage #3 Submission is such a hard concept in todays society. It's hard for the secular world, and it's even hard in the Christian world. It's hard for me. This lady gets it. And does it. She's not a doormat. She's not incapable. Far from it, she has a masters degree, is a gifted teacher and brilliant writer. She is one that everyone wants to be friends with. She puts herself under her husbands leadership and while that may seem weak to the world, it has resulted in a relationship, a marriage that is one of the strongest I have ever seen.

These are not earth shattering. They are not recipes for happy marriages (although they will not hurt a marriage). They all know the secret of putting your loved ones needs, wants and desires ahead of your own. Today I want to leave you with my secret in my marriage when I'm in a rough time. I recite this to myself.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way. It it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

I recite these to myself when I'm upset, almost like a mantra. Sometimes just one line over and over like, love is not rude...love bears all things...love does not insist on its own way...

And remember LOVE NEVER ENDS!

4 comments:

  1. Conversely, I could give examples of 3 marriages (Christian couples) that are very broken, distressed or on the verge of divorce. The point I've taken from your post is that making marriage work requires a deliberate decision to choose to love the other spouse and to put as much effort into nurturing the relationship as you would anything you care about and are passionate toward. It's a reminder I needed this morning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! (How did I not mention that?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could list examples of marriages and what not do and just may have to post on that. Thanks for the idea. And you are right. It takes work and effort. I told him, the pastor, our family and friends and God I would live, honor and cherish him good times and bad.

    ReplyDelete