Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Grasshoppers

It doesn't matter how many times I fly. I also want a window seat (two reasons, I like to look out the window, and I don't like letting people climb over me to go to the bathroom). I neglected to pick my seats out at a reasonably ahead of flight time, so while I got a window seat, I sat under the wing and behind the prop of a dash 8, the second to back row of a Canadair 700 and the very back row of a 737.

I sit with my face smashed against the window, embracing my inner 8 year old, and I love it.

On the way home we flew out of LAX over the ocean. Then we flew over mountains. The mountains in California looked black until we got right over top and then I could see snow, but there were a lot of trees. Then over the desert, I could see the sand swirling, and the patterns in it on the ground.

As we broke through the clouds on the descent into Denver I looked down at the mountains. They are beautiful. I always thought I was a beach girl (as much as a Kansas girl can be a beach girl) but when we went to Denver May of 2012 I discovered I love the mountains too. I could see the evergreens on the mountains, see the ski slopes. I didn't see any skiers, but I was enthralled with the beauty of the mountains and the miniature trees.

When I did my Bible study over the weekend I read this verse "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in". Isaiah 40:22

I was struck by the fact again that Heaven is a literal place. God sits on his throne above the circle of the earth (why was everyone so surprised when Columbus discovered the earth was round? Apparently God told us all those years ago that the earth was a circle) and we are like grasshoppers. Just like I looked down at the mini evergreen trees, God looks downs on us. And he sees us.

I read about Hagar as well over the week I was i California and I always feel touched by her calling God "El Roi, the God who sees me". I've actually talked about this before. Sometimes I feel like I'm the invisible girl. Which would be a pretty cool super power, but I not one I want. I have no problem admitting that I need human love and I need friendship and I need my people.

As I put these two thoughts together it reinforced that God does see me. And he loves me. He speaks to me in ways only I hear, through the view of trees from an airplane. Through the words of a book. Through a Scripture from a Bible study. To give me a message that my sometimes dry thirsty soul needs to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment