Monday, February 3, 2014

My value of marriage

My marriage has been the single most important relationship to me since the day I got married.

I have fought with Steve, I have fought against Steve, I have fought for Steve.

I have disliked him, distrusted him, and a couple of times not wanted to go home. But even at these times, I loved him intensely. The idea of life without him has never appealed to me. Not once have I not wanted him. Not loved him.

I value my marriage.

I value the institution of marriage.

I value your marriage.

And if I could challenge every young single woman out there (even though I'm fairly sure there aren't many reading) that the importance they put on other women's marriages is important. Flirting with a married man will only make you feel powerful and pretty - until you are married and you think about all the younger, prettier, funner girls than you that might be flirting with your husband.

You see, marriage takes work. Sometimes the excitement, well frankly, just isn't there. When the money is tight, the kids are sick, jobs aren't going well, it can be tough.

I believe every man is responsible for his behavior, please don't misunderstand. But I think every woman who even "innocently" flirts with a married man is opening a door that she shouldn't. She is not only damaging that man, but she is damaging herself. Because you will have to deal with the realization that the Scriptures say in Luke 6:31 "Do to others as you would have them do to you."

I think we quote this verse as a treat people good because you want to be treated that way. And I 100% agree with that interpretation.

I have always felt that this also means that you treat people how you want to be treated, that includes the bad and ugly. When you don't value someone else's marriage, you are saying it's okay that someone out there isn't going to value mine.

I wish I was this wise 20 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment