Monday, June 23, 2014

Deactivate

I've been in a love hate relationship with face book since - well, since I set up a face book page.

I've recently decided to decrease my virtual footprint and I deactivated my face book page. It's something I've been thinking about but did impulsively. Funny enough?? I haven't missed it. I thought I might. But I was wrong.

I had a friend who closed hers because she said "it wasn't a good fit". And I totally understand that. She's always more polite than me.

I was pretty fed up with certain things.

Pictures of women, taken by themself, of their boobs. Seriously? Pictures of men (my family members no less) in their underwear. Women wearing the skimpiest swim suits imaginable in multiple pictures complaining that men only wanted to be their friend on face book cause they wanted to hook up with them. Look at what you are advertising.

Political rants. Your opinion is worth sharing. Your beating down everyone who doesn't agree with you? Get over yourself. Pro-choice, pro-life, women's rights, veganism, the right to love who you love (everything from same sex to grandma and grandson).

There is also the purse I wanted to buy on line. After I looked at one the very next time I logged on to face book it showed me the ad and asked if I was still interested. THE EXACT PURSE.

And of course, I've always been able to admit that I follow stalk people I'm not even friends with. I look at their pictures, I check semi - regularly to see if they've changed their pics and see if I can gain any insight into their lives. I realize how pitiful this is, but I'm interested, I want to know, but I don't want to be their friend. In fact, they would decline my request anyway. And I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of knowing I'm interested. (I KNOW HOW SAD THIS MAKES ME SOUND).

I realized I had 75 hidden friends. Ridiculous.

The final straw was this last week and I had the most awful two days over something that stemmed from face book. And I thought why the heck am I allowing this much turmoil over something I can choose not to have. And at that moment I deactivated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment