Sunday, May 24, 2009

Blind Faith

Trust in the Lord with all your heart;do not depend on your own understanding". Prov. 3:5

Today Steve went for a trail ride with me. Steve is a daredevil. He's an explorer. We found a trail that runs by the Arkansas River we had never explored before, and he says, "let's see how far it goes". I ran out of energy before we ran out of trail, so I'm guessing our next "date" will involve two mountain bikes, two bottles of water and a lot of dirt and sweat. I love that man. About 40 minutes into an 80 minute ride I realized something. I trust Steve blindly. I would follow him anywhere, even with no visibility of the path ahead. I was riding 10 yards behind him. I could not see around him, all I could see was him. When he switched to the other side of the trail, I followed. When he rode out of the saddle to get through the sand easier, I came out of the saddle too, not knowing what I was up against. When he angled around a root, I followed his path. When he got off the path and rode through grass, again, I followed. When he slowed down to watch the baby birds running on the trail in front of us, I slowed down too. (It was pretty cool, one actually finally took wing and flew after running from us for about 100 yards). I know Steve would never knowingly or willingly hurt me or put me in danger. Yesterday when I rode by myself, I had a wicked wipeout. I have a bruise on my temple, my left shoulder and back of my arm are scraped raw. Both knees are scraped, left elbow and right palm are cut, back of my left hand is bruised all down the outside, big bruise on my left thigh and right calf where the bike landed on me. But today, following Steve on a ride twice as long on a trail I have never been on, I was fine. I have more confidence in his leading me than I have in getting there myself. This is a big deal for someone who had been on her own for 10 years, single mom for 4 years when I married him. It didn't happen over night, but I know now that I would follow him anywhere. STAY WITH ME, I'M DONE BRAGGING ABOUT STEVE. What God laid on my heart today is that I have more confidence in following Steve then I have in following God. Steve is following God, so basically, I'm getting there that way too. But why would I trust a man, even a great man, more than I trust God? Steve is not perfect, but God is. Steve is confident in where he is going as far as he can see, but God can see what's around the corner, on the other side of the tree, up the hill, etc. Steve can yell encouragement to me to pedal harder to get up the hill (that's a little annoying, but it worked) but God gives me the strength and the health to do it. I thought before today that I trust God. That I believe he's on my side, wants good for me. But I realized that maybe I have been giving God human attributes, which is a dreadful sin against him. When things don't work out the way I want or the way I pray, I wonder what I'm doing wrong or what God wants from me or how I can please him. What should I be doing to get my way? Why is he mad at me? THAT'S NOT HOW GOD WORKS. He knows. He knows the future. He knows what I need, and he knows that what I want is not the best. He knows that what I want may be good, may be the right thing in some areas, but it's not the best in the big picture. And while I can't see the big picture, the finished product, I know that Isaiah 55:9 is right "For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts". I'm not going to change my blind faith in following Steve, but I'm going to have that same blind faith in God again. I'm not sure how or when I lost it, but I found it again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment