Monday, May 4, 2009

Endurance

More on endurance, Romans 5:3-5 We can (I CAN) rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. 4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. 5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.
I am continually amazed at how God brings the right Scriptures to me when I need them. Or as I have said before, if you are actively looking and seeking answers from God, they are in front of you. This one, I can relate to so well in the area of physical training and endurance so to make it relevant to spiritual training and endurance was an easy jump.
When I train for a run, I work harder than when I am just exercising. I stick with my training routine and follow it as closely as I can. I learned how valuable this was the very first time I ran in an actual race. Steve could just go out and run the distance he wanted, so he didn’t train like I did. I ran twice during the week, short distances, never more than 5 miles per time, and on the weekend, increased distances from 5 to 8 in preparation to run a 10 mile run. We ran the 10 mile run. I was tired, and sore (and extremely hungry for a couple days), but not as bad as Steve was. Now he did run harder and faster than I did, and came back and ran the last mile with me, making his run a mile longer. But the benefit of training for the run and not just counting on my physical capabilities and strength allowed me to recover faster. The next time we scheduled a race, he trained with me and ran my distances and my days. His recovery was much different, better and faster.
So in an effort to build endurance, I push myself. I go off the beaten path, and run hills, (yes there are hills in Kansas) cross country, in the colder temperatures and in the wind. All of these variants build endurance. They are not fun to undertake, and sometimes I am flat out miserable while I’m running. But I do it because I enjoy the race, and I want to perform to the best of my ability. This does not mean I expect to win, or be the best, I just want to be the best I can. It requires suffering. And I am willing to undertake the suffering to perform better.
So it’s not much of a jump to see how this would relate to my spiritual life, except, at the first time of trouble, I beg God to fix it and take it away from me. If I have the Word of God telling me that this problems and trials will help me develop endurance, character, and a hope that does not lead to disappointment, why would I ask for them to be taken away? I think I should be praying different. If I think about how I deal with my physical training, I can apply that my spiritual trials also and here is what I think I should be doing. I should be asking God for the strength to continue to move forward towards the finish. I should be digging deep into past training and drawing on what worked then and applying it to the problem at hand. When I encounter the uphill battle and the wind, sometimes at the same time, that is when I have to work harder (as my trainer Steve would say) and walk down the hill on the other side. Just like I have training partners in running, I have training partners in life. And they pick me up with their encouragement. Their belief in me sometimes surprises me, because I know they believe I’m stronger than I am. But that belief, those kind words, encouraging words, are like the cheerleaders along the path that yell “you are doing great!” “You are almost there!” “Only 1.8 miles left to go.” One of my favorites was the man that told me and Sheila “looking strong ladies” with about half a kilometer to go. After 9.5 kilometers to still be looking (and feeling) strong was amazing.
This comes at the end of 4 especially troubling weeks for me, lots of trials and unexpected new problems. But if I believe God’s Word, and I do, I CAN rejoice, too, when I run into problems and trials, for I know that they help me develop endurance. 4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens my confident hope of salvation. 5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For I know how dearly God loves me, because he has given me the Holy Spirit to fill my hearts with his love. (changed we to I for my own benefit). Here's to building endurance!

Here are a couple pictures from my first endurance event, my half marathon. I love the one with the cow. He was actually on the trail. Does this count for running with the bulls?
It really was more fun than I look like I'm having.

Mile 3

Mile 8.5

No comments:

Post a Comment