Thursday, May 7, 2009

Philippians 3:13-14

Philippians 3:13-14 - Focused on the Goal “I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.” (MSG)
A friend asked me a question about the above Scriptures, and I got out Steve’s books from seminary and several different translations of the Scripture and looked at these verses in depth. I chose to print this one because I love the use of the word “running”.
I relate very well with Paul when he says “I’m not saying I have all this together, that I have it made”. You have to know me all of 2 minutes to get that I don’t have it all together. Just as Paul knew he had not reached his goal, he was also aware of his weaknesses. I’m all over that. My weaknesses? Cheesecake, Starbucks, reality television… okay, all kidding aside, I really do know my weaknesses. Without giving too much information, but willing to share a little, there are some things that side track me. Busyness. Life is crazy busy. I try to simplify, I keep things at a minimum as much as possible and I do manage time fairly well. But the age of my kids and my husband’s commitments to taking care of our family and meeting the commitments he has made to serving God put pretty high demands on my time. Satan uses this to get me off focus, filling my time up with good activities to the point that I miss out on time with God. Discouragement and discontent are two that get me down. I think they go hand in hand with busyness, too. Left to fester, these will quickly become oppressive. One of the things I get caught up in most is not waiting for God to work. My actions would show that I think he needs my help. And when I take over, it is never with a good outcome. These are a few of my weak areas. Not sure what Paul’s were. I think sometimes that the Bible is just not long enough. So much more I want to know about these people.
The goal or prize would appear to be eternity with Christ Jesus in Heaven. Once we have accepted Christ as our Savior, Heaven is the start of our eternal lives when our earthly one ends, James 1:12 says that we will receive the crown of life. I would love to have a crown. I always loved those cardboard crowns at Burger King. And the princess sets that came with Tiara’s. But I digress… My son has said “Dad’s 401K is in Heaven”. Not a bad way to look at things.
In some translations, the word “reaching” was used. Reaching was a strong term, used to describe a runner who stretches himself. I think “straining” says it well also. These Scriptures say that this is a calling on our lives, to leave our past where it is, (you gotta put your behind in the past) and look forward, pursue, stretch, strain, reach for the high, heavenly prize, and this is a calling from God.
The runner in me loves this, because when I crossed the finish line in races there are always people at the finish line calling “you can do it”, “almost there” and “great job, hang in there”, etc. cheering for you as you cross the finish line. There are people keeping track of how you did so you get your reward. In my races, the biggest reward has been finishing. But also, I have some tangibles that I consider rewards or prizes. I have my number from each race. I have pictures. I have the free tee shirt. From the half marathon, I have a finisher’s medal. When I reach Heaven, I want rewards. I want to run hard and finish strong. (I also want to do better being an encourager and a cheerleader here on earth).

No comments:

Post a Comment