Tuesday, April 2, 2013

a letter to a teacher

Dear teacher,

I realize you have probably made sacrifices to be a teacher. It can be a pretty thankless job. And from what I understand the pay isn't great. I'm sure there are benefits. And you get to feel good about what you do some days. Even though that whole "what do you make? I make a difference" thing is a little hard to stomach sometimes, but you haven't ever said that, so I shouldn't vent about that to you. You may feel that way too, but you haven't ever beat me over the head with the fact that I make money and you make a difference so I'll let this one go...for now.

Because I'm sure it can be thankless and hard I'm going to post this letter to you, unnamed on my blog instead of emailing it direct to you. That and because sending it to you would embarrass my daughter.

You were one of her favorite teachers in a class she loved. Up until recently. And you changed that. You made the comment to her that you hoped your children did not grow up to be like her. When she told me this it almost broke my heart. Because I know her. I know how much that hurt her. I know that she liked you. And respected you. And that you are a christian man. And that nothing you said after that would undo it.

I know you probably didn't mean to hurt her feelings. I know you mean well. You teach well. And one unthoughtful comment that you may or may not have meant has changed her opinion of you (and mine).

I know her and love her and I'm always on her side. I know her better than you ever will, obviously. So let me tell you some things about her you don't know.

She is a good kid. Do you know how rare that is this day and age? Good. Kind. Thoughtful. Loyal. Trustworthy. Compassionate. Hardworking. Intelligent. Beautiful. Mature and wise beyond her years.

She loves Jesus. Not in the I go to youth group and Falcon Fellowship and See You At the Pole and carry my Bible in the hallway at school and let me tell you about my last 5 missions trips (not that there is anything wrong with that) kind of way. She loves Jesus in the do unto others as you want them to do to you take care of widows and orphans love others as you love yourself kind of way.

So teacher, let me end by saying this.

YOU WOULD BE LUCKY TO HAVE YOUR CHILDREN GROW UP AND TURN OUT LIKE WHITNEY!


No comments:

Post a Comment