Wednesday, July 17, 2013

My love affair

Today marks 5 years of running. I'm celebrating with meniscus surgery tomorrow. I'm thrilled at the prospect of running without knee pain.

I've been mocked and made fun of at work. The other day my plantar fasciitis acted up a bit. It's healed for the most part, but ever once in a while I get a twinge. After my 4 co workers that sit with me got done I told them all with plantar fasciitis in my left heel and torn meniscus in my right knee I would still race anyone of them and run further and faster and longer. They all knew I was right.

What is it about runners that makes people hate us? We're a pretty close knit group. If you are a runner, we can sit and talk for hours. My manager is a runner and we talk about it a lot, common ground.

Last April at Steve's 50 mile race I talked to a friend of ours that's an ultra runner and he was telling me about these

Have you ever seen a car with a 5K or 10K or 13.1 or 26.2 sticker on the back? People bragging telling you via their bumper that they have run a marathon. Cool if that's your thing. Not running, putting stickers on your car. Steve has 100 and 60k and 50 and 50K stickers that he was given at some of his ultra marathons, but they are all in his running memory book. Yes, I made/am making running memory books with pictures and all our race bibs and stickers, etc. I won't carry it with me, you would have to ask me if you want to see it. But I will continue to bore anyone that comes over here and reads my words with our running adventures from time to time.

Back to the 0.0

Scott and I had a good laugh about people who aren't part of the running world but want a part of it so they get a 0.0 sticker. Or maybe they just want to mock us. I don't know. Don't care. Because I kind of am of the opinion that I don't do step aerobics, but if you do, good for you doing something. I don't zumba. Tried it. Not my cup of tea, but if you love it, keep at it. Won't put a picture of a zumba girl with a circle around with an X over it, lol.

Me?? I have a love affair with running. I can't say I love running, that's not always true. But I have a 5 year love affair (longer than a lot of relationships) that I don't want out of. I love it. I hate it. I can't wait to do it. I dread it. I dress for it. I shower -after it -. The rewards are huge. The work is constant. I have sacrificed sleep and toenails to it. All been worth it. Because either you get it or you don't.

Here's to another 5 years.

1 comment: