Saturday, July 27, 2013

Not all who wander....


I got the neatest gift the other day


Thanks so much Carrie.

I love this saying, “not all who wander are lost”.

This day and age we are supposed to be driven. Know what we want out of life. Have a plan to get there. Stay on that path.

Recently I was told that Nate didn’t seem to want anything from life, he was just drifting with no purpose. Hadn’t “applied” himself in high school, had randomly quit a job for no reason (Taco Bell after a year and half), and had dropped out of college. This from a man who doesn’t know him.

The actual truth is, Nate quit a job after a year and a half. That’s a long time for a 20 year old, and it was Taco Bell, not a career. He did “drop out of college” at the end of a semester, with plans to at some point go back, just not immediately. He didn’t do as well as he could’ve in high school, but he graduated, on time with an above average GPA. And excelled in baseball.

Why do we thing that “wandering” is such a bad thing?

How much can you learn by taking the path less traveled? By seeing a different path or an unexpected opportunity and taking it?

I’m not where I thought I would be at this point in my life. I did not do all the things I thought I would do. I’ve done different, and more than I thought.

I’ve had unexpected wonderful adventures. I have a full life, that while it’s not always perfect, and would never be fairy tale or picture book, it’s mine, it’s what I want, and I like it.

I like having the path in front of me, but I like the ability to wander. And just because I wander, doesn’t mean I’m lost.

I will wear this often, and it immediately became one of my prized possessions.

1 comment: