Tuesday, July 30, 2013

You should've treated me better

Thanks to my friend Lisa for this...


I had someone very angry at me for something(s) I said on my blog in the past. It was not directed AT her as much as it was ABOUT her. Was I kind? Not always. Did I say her name? Never. If you know me and know me well, you would've known what I was talking about.

She called me ignorant, stupid, boring, pathetic, pitiful, and "someone almost old enough to be my mom should know better". She emailed me, texted me, blogged publically about me and it was humiliating. I retaliated. Not proud of it, but not ashamed ever of what I said. I mean, I addressed behaviors and vented journaled about my feelings, but I didn't call names or use mean adjectives like immature, self delusional, arrogant, pompous, uncaring, mean, etc.

So I loved this.

You want to be wrote about like a heroine or a princess, write your own story. You want me to write warmly about you, don't insert yourself in my life where you don't belong with destructive actions (and then attack me with your words as well).


Having said that, I wandered "what would Jesus do?" And as I thought about my Bible stories, Jesus was kind and loving. But...he could throw down when necessary.

"Let you who has never sinned throw the first stone". Sounds like Jesus may have been calling them out, saying "what's your story".

Or when he threw the money changers out of the temple. Can't imagine he said "I'm gonna have to ask you all to take your livestock and birds and get out of my Father's house. You are using it for illegal and immoral purposes." He THREW them out, and said they were making his Father's house a den of thieves. Not feeling the love (warmth) here.

As usual, it took this poster and a devotional to prick me on something. Matthew 18:21-35 is the passage "forgive 70 X 7 (or infinity). Then it's followed by the parable of the servant who was forgiven a huge debt, but wouldn't forgive the small one owed him. And I think I've forgiven. The wounds are healed. Still tender skin, it can be pricked and I feel it, but the pain? Nahh.

This was followed with a excerpt from In the Eye of the Storm by Max Lucado. He tells the story of a little boy who goes to the pet store to buy a puppy. Picks out a skinny one from the back of the box with a limp leg. The pet store owner tells him he doesn't want that one, but the little boy insists and as he heads out of the store the owner notices the little boys limp and brace, for his crippled leg.

I feel like the puppy in the back of the box with the limp leg that was chosen. Because Jesus knows what we feel. He can relate t what we are going through. He really does get us.

And he speaks warmly about us, no matter what.

2 comments: