Saturday, January 4, 2014

Your Voice

How important is your voice? Your story? We all have one. We all have something worth saying. We all have beliefs and passions. We all have importance.

I silenced a “voice” a while back. I know I did. She emailed me and told me she wouldn’t be blogging anymore because of me.

I would read her blog and disagree with her or tell her why she was wrong. She’s not the only one. I have used my forum to share my beliefs and talk about things I disagree with. I have done that with family members and I’ve disagreed and taken the opposite side of issues from friends.

I believe we need to interact with people we disagree with. I believe we need to respect them and listen to their opinions and their beliefs. I believe if we hear or read something we take a different stand on it may challenge us to rethink our stance. It will do one of two things. Strengthen what you believe or change your mind.

Proverbs 27:17
"As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another."

Iron sharpens iron. When you sharpen a knife there is definite friction.

Do I feel guilty or bad about “silencing” her voice on the internet? Not at all. She has every right to speak. But you have to believe in what you are saying enough to be challenged on it. Agree with me or disagree with me, I’ll think about what you say and either strengthen my stand or change it.

I may not be the popular voice or the most widely read blog. I have never gone viral. It doesn’t matter. I will be silent when I have nothing left to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment