Friday, December 27, 2013

Jesus is not a wuss

I've watched all the uproar over Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson with interest. I've read the interview in GQ and about every article and blog response I've come across. Christians for and against. Members of the LGBT for and against. People chastising him for his "hate" speech. People supporting his right to free speech. People supporting his right to free speech but A&E's right to fire or suspend him.

Boy we like our drama, don't we?

I have an opinion. Of course I do. I'm pretty black and white on things (this is not a racial comment, lol). If the Bible says something is a sin, I believe it's sin. I don't look deeper or translate from the original Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic. I don't parse verbs. I read it and believe it.

I don't know if this is rare or not, but I'm one of those people who gets what a wretched sinner I am. I actually tend to believe my sin is worse than yours. Let's talk some time.

Gossip? Check - just tonight for the record
Gluttony? Check - again, tonight. should've stopped a scoop or two earlier on the ice cream
Pride? Check - Just read this post. I'm a bigger sinner than you.
Sexual immorality? Check - not gonna list those, too ugly and don't want them in print for posterity. Also, I don't want you to know how bad I am.
Theft? Check - I've been given too much change and not taken it back. For whatever reason, too busy, too far from the store, too lazy, the list is endless. Also, there have been days where I didn't work quite like I was working for Jesus, to put it in the best light possible.
Hate, bitterness, anger? Check, Check and Check.

So here's the deal. I can call my sin SIN and confess and make it right (and stumble and fall and start back over to do right). No excuses. And if asked or in a position that I need to call something sin, wrong, I will do so.


What has really fascinated me with all this media drama is the people who say things about Jesus.

We are making him into what we want him to be, not what he is. We are making him light and fluffy. We are putting our words in his mouth. I think this is dangerous.

Yes, Jesus loves us. Yes, he forgives us and shows us mercy and grace and forgiveness. He is longsuffering. But he is not a wuss.

He is righteous and just and holy. And the Bible says that there is a day of judgment coming. And we will stand before him. And it says that he will take the place at the head of his army. And bring judgment to the earth.

We seem to forget this side of Jesus.

It's made me think about how I view Jesus. It's made me think my life and what sin in my life I need to root out.

No comments:

Post a Comment