Thursday, December 19, 2013

So this is Christmas

I'm pretty much done with my Christmas shopping. I have a couple of things left to pick up, some stocking stuffers, some cash to hand out.

We are at the point in life that we buy for the grand babies and a gift for our kids, but mostly it's cash.

I have a beautiful Christmas tree I put up and decorate. And I am the stereotypical mom that gets teary eyed over the puzzle piece reindeers and popsicle stick nativities and hand painted snowmen.

I put out the stockings and make the fudge (and eat the fudge).

I go to the Christmas dinners and spend time with my family.

I try to hold on to one or two traditions.

But life changes. Kids grow up and have families of their own and make their own family traditions.

Finding Christmas in your heart can be tough sometimes. Maybe you get it right every year. But sometimes I have to dig deep.

This year I've been looking for extra ways to do kind acts. I've found some, and when I have the opportunity I take it.

This weekend I really found my Christmas spirit. Steve took me to Salina, Kansas to an old fashioned theater for the Michael W. Smith Christmas Tour Concert. We've both always been fans. And his Christmas show was great. There were some lights, some wreaths, some trees, 6 band members and 3 back ground singers, and Michael at the piano. Christmas songs and some that were just instrumental.

And he told the Christmas story. Very quick and concise, birth of baby Jesus to death on the cross.

It was beautiful and I really felt Christmassy. And was certain I was going to hold on to that.


And two days later as I washed my car outside in almost 60 degree weather Christmas is a little bit further from my mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment