Friday, December 20, 2013

Conversations with Whitney

She finished high school yesterday. Starts college January 21. She is 17 years, 4 months and 10 days old. It's kind of hard to know how I feel about this. She won't technically graduate till May. She'll attend the senior breakfast, walk across the stage and get her diploma all after finishing her first semester of college. We'll do a graduation party then, but I feel like we should do something now too.

I'm not surprised, she's done most everything early her whole life. Came into the world 10 days before her due date. Took ballet lessons till she learned the dance, well before the rest of her class and then she was done. So many examples I can give.

I love this girl and her outlook on life. I had the rare blessing of having her and Steve both at the grocery store with me last week. We are in the meat section and she picks up "smart chicken" and tells us she's pretty sure that's why she did so good in school, was she connected with the "smart chicken" at the grocery store.

A little back story, she was in fourth or fifth grade, in the grocery store she holds the chicken up to her forehead and says "what is the square root of 16" looks at me and says, "what? It's a smart chicken".

I'm not ready for her to be grown up. I'm not ready for her to face life on her own. But it doesn't really matter whether I'm ready or not, because apparently it's here.

No comments:

Post a Comment