Thursday, December 26, 2013

50 Years Ago

My parents celebrated 50 years of marriage today. We had an open house for them and friends and family came by. It was a really sweet evening. My dad told the story of when they met.



He was in the navy. And he was a hooligan. But one of his shipmates shared the story of Jesus with him and it changed his life. He gave up his sinful lifestyle to live for Jesus. He had been writing to his girlfriend back home in Turon, Kansas, but when she found out he "got religion" she didn't want anything to do with him. My mom told her to give him her address because she was a Christian also.

My dad and mom had a letter writing relationship that turned into love.

My dad says that she had sent him her senior picture from high school. She was two days from 19 when they got married. He says that she was wearing glasses and the picture was really formal and black and white.


When he got home and went to her house to meet her and she came out he said that he thought it was her younger sister because she looked so much younger than the picture she sent. And he said "and she was a knockout".

I know it's life. I was there once a long time ago. When young people get married and they think they have it all figured out. They know what love is and theirs is going to be different. Perfect. And maybe it will be. I certainly hope so.

But love is not the perfect proposal or the perfect wedding with the pictures artfully posed with water profiles and the staged "first time he saw me in my dress", etc. Love is not sharing every moment on facebook so every one knows how awesome your life is. (I once asked Steve if we went out for a great evening and didn't share it on social media, did it really happen?) Love isn't what people see publically. If it is, my parents don't have love. They don't have a computer or facebook. I have the only two pictures of them from their wedding - and I put them up and don't know where I put them. Simple. Sweet.

And love looks different for everyone and every marriage. But it's the same thing. It's putting someone else ahead of you. It's choosing to love them. For better, for worse. I've seen this in my parents. They both really know how to love people. Not just each other, it spills over.

No comments:

Post a Comment