Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Faith

This Thanksgiving weekend I had reason to pray and trust God. One of those things that all the worrying in the world wouldn't change, so why do it? I spent a little time being upset and yes, worrying, then I talked to Steve and was calmed down and then I realized what I was worrying about wasn't an issue.

Made me think about something my momma always said, "it's one thing to have faith, it's another to jump off a cliff and yell 'God save me'".

I see this so much. One of the benefits??? of social media is people share too much. And you get front row seats to stupidity. Bad decisions. Wrong decisions. And then you get to see all the "God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers", "If God brings you to it, he will bring you through it", etc. This is pure unadulterated crap.

One of the lessons I learned from David Jeremiah many years ago that has always stuck with me is if it's an act of sin, God isn't in it. Upon confession and repentance God will work mightily in your life. But there are consequences of actions, there are repercussions from sin that cannot be undone. Lessons can be learned. Lives can be changed.

Just a few examples, if you don't show up to work for a few weeks and get fired and then say God is testing you financially, you are fooling yourself. If you show up faithfully to work, work hard, have a good attitude and get downsized, that may be a test. (It also is just life, but you can see the difference).

If you are involved in a bad/wrong/sinful relationship and pray for God to honor it and give you a lifetime with someone that you shouldn't be with and it doesn't work out, it's not a God wanted me to learn and grow from knowing that person. GOD WANTED YOU OUT OF THAT RELATIONSHIP.

These are both true life examples of people I know.

I believe whole heartedly in miracles and prayer and the goodness of God and the love Jesus and his heart for his people.

But I also believe there are consequences to our actions. And calling the results of our bad decisions tests from God and getting all spiritual in the hard times and ignoring him when things are good is not the way it works.

I do believe God rescues us from bad decisions and can make good things happen and bless us through them. But when that happens, I know it's his mercy and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment