Sunday, March 30, 2014

Angels Unaware

Hebrews 13:2 "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

I've always loved this verse, it's one I love best in the KJV.

I had this experience Friday night. Steve had a race this weekend in Ottawa, Kansas. We went up Friday night for the pre-race briefing and dinner and to pick up his race packet. With a 6:00 a.m. start time and 30 degree temps in the morning, we didn't want to go early Saturday. 6:00 a.m. is early enough. We had said we weren't going to stay for the guest speaker, but dinner was before him and the packet pick up after so...

We went in to the room and picked the table behind Steve's running pal Elden. There were 3 gentlemen at the table, obviously not together. The conversation wasn't moving really well, but I love people and I love to hear about their lives so we exchanged first names and dove into dinner and conversation.

Quickly became between Steve and one of the men, the other two were so willing to bow out of talking. Obviously so. As David talked about teaching and running and running and teaching I asked where he taught. He says " in a classroom, with students". My smart alec self had all kinds of responses, but the grown up in me held my tongue. I didn't answer. Eventually he challenged me on letting it go and I simply said "I'll google you", as I was holding my phone and already put his name in the search engine.

Found out he teaches exercise physiology and running groups at Liberty University. Christian University. A couple of friends have kids who've just graduated from there. I love when I meet believers, anyway.

We talked and laughed and had a wonderful time. He was truly a remarkable man, christian man, investing in the youth of today, and a phenomenal ultra-running legend. In the world of ultra-running, pick a bad a$$ race and he has completed it.

When he stood up from the table he looked at Steve and I and told us it had truly been a special evening. He couldn't remember the last time he had that much fun. He went up to speak and actually shared some of our conversation. I will remember David Hornton and this pre-race dinner as a very special night.

It made me remember something my mom always told me whenever I talked about someone who was an instant friend or whom I had extreme conflict with. "The spirits inside you recognize each other".

I do need to extend this kindness to strangers further in my life. Because they may be angels, but if they aren't, they may really need some kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment