Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Carry your cross

Matthew 16:24 "Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."

This verse sounds like you are in for a rough time if you want to be a disciple of Jesus.
SonCrossFalls.jpg (1276×716)
from the "Son of God" movie

This doesn't look like something I want to do.

Steve and I went and saw this movie. We had watched "The Bible" series on the History channel when showed it as a mini-series and I loved it. Forget tearing it apart for "scripturally accurate", or dissecting it for theological accuracy. It's like throwing the baby out with the bath water. It was a wonderful experience to watch as a movie.

When I watched the movie one of the things that struck me that I hadn't noticed before is the verse above says take up your cross.

When Jesus couldn't carry his cross anymore, even the callous roman soldiers had someone help him. If they could make sure Jesus was helped when he need it, I want to believe that when my cross gets to heavy to carry that Jesus is right there to help me.

Makes the idea of taking up my cross and carrying and following a little easier in the rough times.

No comments:

Post a Comment