Thursday, March 4, 2010

The best things in life...

Tonight I was gonna make ribs for supper. I couldn't find barbeque sauce. (BBQ sauce does not rank as a drop everything and go to Walmart item.) So I improvised. Two packets of leftover McDonalds BBQ sauce and some ingredients from my cupboard and refrigerator and voila! Mesquite honey BBQ ribs. They turned out pretty good. In my opinion, they were better than if I had just had regular BBQ sauce to dump on them. Sometimes the easy way is good, but a little bit of thought and ingenuity makes it better.

There is a saying "the best things in life are free". I'm not sure I would make that blanket statement, because I pay for water and electricity and they are pretty great things to have. Along with diet coke and food, in general, I don't even need to get specifically into my favorites. But there are some things that are free that are pretty great. Air. Running. A hug from my son.

We all value different things in life. I think there are some things it's safe to say that everyone values for the most part, human life, family, healthy, a good job, etc. But then we all have the things that mean something to us that other's don't get. A sentimental object from Grandma or mom. A picture a child drew for us. An activity. A favorite book or blanket or chair. Or overnight bag (that's one of mine, and I know it's kind of weird.)

Where your treasure is that's where your heart is, where your treasure is, that's where you are. Line from an old song.

No comments:

Post a Comment