Thursday, April 22, 2010

Books

When I was at the library with Whitney the other day we walked up and down the aisles as I tried to find books. She would point out and say, you’ve read that one, you’ve read that one, you like that author. I love to read. I love to read everything. Magazines and books being my faves. I also read a lot of blogs. Some on a once in a while basis, some semi-regularly and some I check almost daily for new posts and I’m disappointed when there is nothing new. My favorites end up bookmarked on my droid so I can access them anywhere. Right now there are three favorites on my droid (think Iphone, only not.) One is our youth pastor. Loved his from the first post. One is another lady at church that I have great admiration and respect for, she is an outstanding woman of God. The third is a former youth pastor Steve and I worked with and he is now pastoring a church down south. Great spiritual insight and wisdom from these three. I also have some blogs I read about fashion, running, and just other odds and ends that catch my eye.

My favorites authors are
Robert Ludlum
Tom Clancy
Nelson Demille
Clive Cussler
Jane Austen (doesn’t really fit, does it?)
If they sound familiar, all of them have books turned into movies. The movies are not as good as the books.

My favorite Christian authors are
C.S. Lewis
Max Lucado
Charles Swindoll

Favorite books by other authors
Andre Dubus III – The Garden of Last Days (very disturbing look at one of the terrorists of 911)
Corrie Ten Boom - The Hiding Place.
John Bunyan - Pilgrim’s Progress
Dante – The Divine Comedy

I also read a lot of books about running. This would fall under one of my favorite subjects. I used to read parenting books. Until I discovered everyone has a different philosophy, and none of them have met my kids which would require volumes (think encyclopedic) for each of them. I have a lot more time to read now than I used to. I used to carry books to baseball and volleyball practices, but now Nate takes himself and generally I drop Whitney at the door and pick her up after. I was thinking about my time alone as I realized there were three nights this week that I was home by myself. Four years ago, an hour by myself was unheard of. I’m much more of a loner than I thought I was. I rather enjoy having full control of the remote, if I want to watch TV, or being able to read a book without anyone interrupting me. Or going to the library or Barnes and Noble. I am always looking for new authors to read. So if you have any favorites, feel free to recommend them. I read many more than I listed above, these are just the ones I really love.
Patsy Baker

2 comments:

  1. Do you like mystery/thrillers? I can read them only when my husband is home, but my favs are by Dee Henderson and Lynette Eason; also Jane Kirkpatrick (an Oregon author) has some good books too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read nearly everything by Ted Dekker, and he's written many. Most popular are his Circle trilogy ones; Black, Red, White, and Green. (Books much better than their titles, btw.) Also like Davis Bunn, another Christian author.
    Another, btw comment, I so enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete