Friday, April 2, 2010

Conversations with Whitney

Whitney is adjusting to the loss of her friend Regan. She wears pink and blue ribbons braided on her arm as a bracelet, because it was Regan's favorite color. We had to applique #2's on all the volleyball jerseys so they didn't tatto themselves with Sharpies.
This is a rare serious conversation I will share that shows me how important it is to teach your children the truth. And then a couple pictures in memory of a very special little girl.
Whitney's friend: "You mean Regan isn't watching over me from heaven?"
Whitney: "No, when you are dead you are dead. Your soul goes to heaven, and you are separated from earth."
Whitney's friend, in tears: "So she's not my guardian angel?"
Whitney: "No, you have Jesus for that."
Whitney's friend: "But I miss her"
Whitney: "Me too, but even if you could look down from heaven, why would you want to?"

at this point I joined the conversation and helped Whitney, and I have to say this is one reason I happily car pool her and her friends. I had the chance last April to talk to Regan when we were in Kansas City about God and his love and how he doesn't send people to hell, we choose to go to hell when we choose not to accept his gift of love and salvation through his son Jesus. I have remembered that conversation with Regan almost daily for two weeks, and I thank God for the opportunity to have talked to her that day. It's a reminder to me not to ever shirk talking about important matters with my kids and their friends.
Whitney, Regan, Denae and Shawnee

Whitney, Regan and Alexx
Our first place finish, first tournament without Regan. Sharpie tattoos in her honor on legs and faces.

1 comment:

  1. I can't begin to fathom how horrible this has been on her family. It's always tough when young kids, who we think have so much life ahead of them, have that life cut short.

    You must be so proud of Whitney for having that conversation!

    You said something about God not sending people to hell, but rather people sending themselves by not choosing Jesus. Our Pastor just preached that exact message two weeks ago - rather, he presented what you said as the answer to a popular non-believer question: how can a loving God send people to hell?

    It was the first time I had heard such an answer and it is something that will stick with me forever.

    ReplyDelete