Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Mother's Worst Nightmare

I was home one afternoon last week. Dr. Phil was on. I wasn't really watching it, but I heard a lady say "It's every mother's worst nightmare. Your daughter comes home and says she wants a boob job for prom." I am a mother. This is not my worst nightmare. I know a mother who buried her 13 year old daughter due to a freak accident. WORST NIGHTMARE! I know a mother who has an 18 year old daughter who has not graduated from high school, is pregnant with her first child and has no job. WORST NIGHTMARE! I know a mother who has a 19 year old daughter currently serving time in prison for multiple offenses and she is raising the 11 month old granddaughter. I know a mother who has adopted and is raising her 15 year old, 6 year old and 2 year old grandchildren as her children because their mother (her daughter) is unfit. I can go on. I won't, because I don't want to be any more depressing than this.
This mother went on to blame reality television for her daughter's poor body image. I blame parenting, not television. If television is the problem, don't let your kids watch those shows. And if you can't stop them, get rid of the television. Extreme, yes, but if this is a problem for you, deal with it. We enforced extremely stringent discipline on our children over the years. One of them was grounded for 6 months. And not just grounded to home, grounded to dad. She went no where there was not a parent or grandparent. At 16 she spent the day at grandma's instead of home with the other kids. If Steve went to church early for practice and stayed for two services, she went. At the end of 6 months, after she had been a model child, obedient, well behaved, she immediately reverted to her old ways. And as far as a boob job? If your daughter wants one, explain why you think it's a bad idea. If she still wants one, tell her when she has the $6000.00 to pay for herself and is old enough to do it on her own, go for it! Patsy Parenting at it's best. That should be your worst nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment