Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The half price Easter Bunny

Whitney came and sat with me and Nate in church Sunday morning. She had spent the night with a friend and then came to church with her. Whitney had a giant Easter Basket with her. That was when I realized I hadn’t done anything for Easter for my kids. No new Easter clothes. No Easter basket. No chocolate bunny. No pastel M&M’s. No hard boiled eggs. No dye stains under my finger nails, in my porcelain sink and on my counter. No rotten eggs left undiscovered in the backyard for squirrels, opposums, raccoons and skunks to find later. We went home from church and had tacos for lunch. No special Easter lunch, Steve just wanted tacos. Nate then went to his girlfriend’s for dinner. They eat fancy. It’s like the difference in Yia Yia’s (them) and Cracker Barrel (us). Works well for the Nate and his girlfriend, best of both worlds. Nate came home with an Easter Basket. Am I the only mom who did not recognize Easter with a basket of candy? I felt pretty lame until I ate Nate’s peeps and somehow those little yellow blobs of marshmallows covered with sugar made me feel almost deliriously good. So later in the week, several days after Easter, I handed my kids a box of Krackel chicks and Dove eggs (not in a basket, in the packaging from the store) and Nate asked why he was getting Easter candy so late. I told him he had been visited by the “clearance Easter Bunny”. He laughed and said, it’s all half price now isn’t it. I confirmed that was true. Nate says he loves the half price Easter Bunny.
All the Peeps were gone which is quite fortuitous for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment