Sunday, April 4, 2010

Classy, intelligent, well-educated women

Guessing by the title I'm not referring to myself? You got that right. There is a group on facebook that you can join, Classy, intelligent well-educated women who use the word ????? alot. I won't tell you what the word is because it's very offensive. I can't think of single place, time or circumstance that it is acceptable. If someone said it in front of my kids, I would ask them not to say it. The reason this stuck out to me is a woman at church joined this group. I know facebook is for your friends, and I wouldn't call her a friend, but because she knows Steve I am also her friend. When she joined this group, I saw it. And I wondered how anyone could consider themselves intelligent or well-educated and use foul language. I'm a believer that an educated person can express themselves without using foul language. Without using swear words.
The Bible talks about our tongues and the words we use. One I think of often (because I need to) Job 6:24 teach me and I will be silent (hold my tongue). Ecclesiastes 5:2 says let your words be few (I also need to do this). Psalms 10 lists the "grievous" ways of the wicked and verse 7 says "his mouth is full of cursing and deceit". For me as a Christian woman, I have a responsibility to tame my tongue. Refrain from cursing and hateful words and unkindness. Opposite of that it includes being positive, kind, and encouraging. I have so many opportunities for growth in this area, and know that this is one of the works that will be completed...someday.

1 comment:

  1. Are you kidding me?! It's usually the people who claim they are classy that are the farthest thing from it. To me, it just seems like they are trying to disprove what they so clearly ARE by trying to be something they AREN'T.

    It's just unfortunate that someone had to create this group. She is lacking in her life.

    I've found that the women who I would consider to have the most class are the quiet ones. The ones who are considered a success by those they serve - their husbands, children, etc. because they live out their lives with purpose, but also humility.

    ReplyDelete