Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I'm thankful for...

I have been bummed about my foot for 11 days now. I haven't run for ELEVEN DAYS! Running is several things to me, an outlet, a mood booster, the ability to eat sweets, prayer time, ipod worship time, and about 6 hours a week of sweaty alone time with Steve (couldn't resist). I love it. Today I drove home by the bike path I like to run and I felt a real sense of loss. But earlier today I saw something else that took some of the sting out. My boss was supposed to attend a meeting today, but they scheduled it during his lunch hour and he had other stuff. (I have the same lunch hour). He assigned the meeting to me. I work in a huge facility. Several square miles. I park .25 of a mile from the door. If I leave at lunch I walk a mile a day. The building the meeting was in required another park about .25 miles from the door. So it was easier and the same distance to just walk the whole way. EXCEPT I have a stress fracture. I'm using one crutch to keep the weight off my right foot. I move slow. So I spent an hour and forty five minutes crutching it over a mile and up and down four flights of stairs for a 30 minute meeting attended only by other management. Not complaining, I have a good job. It provides much needed insurance. I missed lunch, my foot hurt, my armpit now hurts, as does my right hand. I work with a wonderful engineering guy who limps all the time. Bum knee. Requires replacement. Won't get well. He doesn't even walk as well as I do with crutches. And I will fully recover and be running again in November. (BONUS! Found a run in February I think I can do too, make up for the marathon I'm missing Sunday.)
All that to say, I will heal. My foot will be pain free. And on top of that, I will be more rested than I have been in 3 months. Malachi 4:2 “But for you who fear my name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in his wings.[a] And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture." (NLT) That will be me. Leaping, not running, LEAPING for joy like a calf let out to pasture. Probably the only time I will ever compare myself to a cow.

1 comment:

  1. Comparison to a calf is in no way the same as to a cow :)
    Hopefully reading your latest Runner's World will bring some more rest.

    ReplyDelete